Saturday, September 20, 2014

LITERARY JOURNALS FEATURING MICHAEL'S POEMS

Dear Son,

Of course we include in our library the very precious literary journals in which your poems appear (I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!) -- the two annual journals of St. Helena High School, The Spirit of the Saints / El Espiritu de los Santos:



And, if you recall, your poem "John" was reprinted in the Pine Tree Poetry Collection, an anthology of high school-age poets and artists!  Here you are with that anthology, grumblingly allowing yourself to be photographed by your proud Ma:


Here is that poem, "John":



And because your poems -- all poems -- look for their audience, I will also reprint the second poem you wrote which ended up being published in The Spirit of the Saints:


For My People
By Michael Pollock


 For the children who live on the streets.

My people wander the streets
 looking beat up with scar marks on their fragile feet.
They are hungry, they beg but never get enough to eat
 as they compete with the Barrio’s tough guys.

They steal, get caught and get beat up
with adult objects, even spike heels.

Tears roll down their faces
like car wheels down steep hills.

For my people, all they want is a loving Mom
 but they don’t know where she’s gone anymore.
Old house? New house? She’s left anyhow.

They are alone, no one guiding them along.
The lack of love, kisses, hugs turn a heart to rock.
Affected, the body and mind stop being strong.

For my people who live like shadows
gutted of potential—
 how they wish to grab their lives and take themselves away
 from an unfair world.
They cry silently, wishing
 somebody would take pity on their innocence.

I wish for my people to succeed in life
even if they aim just for junior high.

I wish for my people to learn about life
to know about the world and Columbus
and never forget that they came from Colombia
so at least they can be better off
 than the Barrio’s tough guys.


I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!  Have I said that already?

Anyway, these three literary journals grace our library.  And whether or not you continue to write poems in the future, I want you to know that this art form has welcomed you.

Love,

Mom






No comments:

Post a Comment