Thursday, September 18, 2014

LIBRARY SALES AND A MAN'S FEMINIST TAKE ON "ORPHEUS & EURYDICE"

Dear Son,

Yesterday, I frittered away more of your inheritance by adding three more books to our library.  But not to worry -- they didn't cost much because I acquired them through our local public library sale!


As you can see above by the hardback ($1) and paperback (50 cents) cost, library sales offer good deals and I suggest you be aware of them when you are out there acquiring books (as I have faith you will do so in the future).  You see, Son, when Mom and Dad fork over $25  for a Percy Jackson, Harry Potter or other hardback at the bookstore, we wince but have been doing so because we want to encourage you to read.  In your future, you should of course feel free to acquire books at full retail if you can afford them (because it supports their authors) but also check out alternative and more affordable ways to find books -- a library sale is a great example.  Many often have sales where, for a few dollars, you can have as many books as you can stuff in a grocery bag!

Anyway, today's purchase was of three poetry books:



Son, this reflects one of your Mom's quirks.  You see, as people who live on our mountain, this means that we have almost unlimited space for books.  So one of my quirks is to welcome any poetry book to our Poetry Library.  Our Poetry Library contains books which don't move me but whose existence I allow on our shelves.  Because Poetry, in your Mom's opinion, transcends words and the existence of people who allow poetry in their lives -- let alone write it -- is precious.  I believe we are all born Poets, Son, and it's the living that leaches that out of our lives.  So I consider anyone who's held on to their poetry to be a special person; I don't mind being surrounded by their books...

Having said that, it's more typical -- and certainly nothing wrong with it -- that people have more of a definitive opinion as to what poetry they like.  You will too if you keep paying attention to poetry.  This is to say, don't assume the books within our Poetry Library are books I recommend for your reading.  They do exist, though, as a convenience for you to figure out what type of poetry you will enjoy.

Still, your Mom's indiscriminate poetry-buying does have a key advantage: it opens me up to the poetries of people I might not otherwise experience if I was trying to judge the books ahead of time.  So, for example, among today's purchases, I've already read two of the books and enjoyed them both!  In particular, I so enjoyed EURYDICE’S SONG, poems by William Borden and monotypes by Douglas Kinsey, that I'll be placing it on my recommended poetry book list at LinkedIn to Poetry.  I appreciated this because, as Borden says, most variations of this ancient Greek myth are presented from Orpheus' point of view and Borden's verse presents Eurydice's perspective.  Kinsey's monotypes are also lovely.  I'd never heard before of either Borden or Kinsey so I am indebted to our local library's sale!  Here are some images of their $1 book, and I hope you will end up learning about Orpheus, Eurydice and Borden's feminist--nay, humanist--take:












 

No comments:

Post a Comment